Our Mission at Dance Works is to deliver high quality dance education in a fun, nurturing, yet disciplined and challenging atmosphere affordably. Our mobile studio's goals are to inspire dancers to reach their fullest potentials as dancers technically, artistically and athletically, while promoting dedication, hard work, fostering friendships and encouraging creativity in a supportive, safe and non-competitive environment.
Dance Works is a proud member of the National Dance Education Organization and the International Association of Dance Medicine and Science. We are an approved Chapter of the National Honors Society of Dance Arts whereby students are recognized for their outstanding artistic and academic achievement in grades 6-12 with educational, leadership , community outreach and networking opportunities. We will recognize and induct students while helping to advance the field of dance education. There is opportunity to receive the gold Honor Pin and wear the blue and white Honor Cord and/or Medallion at graduation.
- We provide personal attention a holistic approach to instruction with positive attitude.
- Our younger classes include assistants to lower student/instructor ratio.
- We are more affordable than most dance studios without compromising quality dance education.
- Dance Works has a variety of classes for training at all ages and levels that can fit into your family schedule. If you don’t see a class you are interested in, please speak with us and we can likely make arrangements!
- We are proud to offer multiple options for you and your dancer to explore. From one class per week as a recreational dancer to intensive programs for a more serious dancer, we have something for everyone!
- Dance Works is proud to offer age-appropriate dance education and costuming.
- There are several performance opportunities including a Winter Showcase or Nutcracker, Spring Fundraiser Showcase which in part benefits the American Cancer Society and The Joe Torre Safe At Home Foundation, Student Choreography Showcase that in part benefits The Valerie Fund and performances for local children’s hospitals and nursing homes. We host a Spring Recital and at the end of school closure camps and summer sessions we have a petite presentation.
- Dance Works is enrolling as a chapter of the NHSDA (National Honors Society of Dance Arts), recognizing and inducting students who express interest while helping to advance the field of dance education. There is opportunity for dancers to receive the gold Honor Pin and wear the blue and white Honor Cord and/or Medallion at graduation.
- We offer Dance Camps for Working families when school is on break or has a Superintendent's Conference Day and in during summer break.
- Dancers are encouraged to create their own choreography, giving rise to young expressive and artistic talent.
- Our community culture is inclusive, respectful, friendly, family-oriented and committed to the high quality of our program! We love to dance and especially love to share our passion for dance and fitness with our students! Parents are welcome to wait for and watch their dancers
- Location, location, location! Our location is flexible, easy to find parking and we currently offer outdoor, indoor and pod classes in Harrison, West Harrison, Purchase, Rye Brook, Tarrytown, Scarsdale and Irvington. We provide outdoor instruction, Livestream classes via Zoom and can customize locations for private, semi-private classes and corporate classes and events. Our mobile studio locations are close to multiple coffee spots, restaurants, shops. There's so much you can do and enjoy before and after class or while you wait for your dancer.
Wendy Wood Barletta is the Founder, Executive & Artistic Director, Instructor and Choreographer for Dance Works since 1999. She has evolved Dance Works, now recognized for its broad repertory, development of the whole dancer and for a vision that keeps dance, fitness and creativity alive affordably in our community. Wendy began her dance-teaching career at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst in 1982, where she received her BFA degree in Dance from the 5-College Dance Department. Wendy has a performance degree though her concentrations were aligned with Dance Education, Choreography and post-graduate work in fitness. Wendy has performed, taught and choreographed for all ages and levels in New York, California, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Canada and in Europe. She studied with Alvin Ail Bella Lewitsky, Luigi, Gemze de Lappe and many other well renown dance pioneers and their disciples. She brings well-rounded experience to her classes. Many of her students have gone on to perform professionally in movies, TV and on stage. Others have entered into dance teaching, dance therapy and other dance and fitness related fields. Wendy emphasizes fun in her classes, while teaching proper technique and alignment and overall body strengthening and flexibility. She provides a creative and rewarding learning environment to help each dancer develop her own style. In addition to her degree in Dance, Wendy is an AFAA Certified Group Fitness Instructor, Licensed Zumba® Instructor and Certified CPR/AED.
Olivia Johanssen is a Dancer, Teacher's Assistant, Student Choreographer and a member of our Dance Works Company performance group. She is senior and member of her high school Dance program and has been inducted into thee NHSDA (National Honors Society for Dance Arts). She started her dance journey with Dance Works taking Jazz & Broadway dance 7 years ago. She was then introduced to Modern 4 years ago and truly connected to Modern Dance. She studied composition with us last year. She is a valuable member of our Dance Works community and student staff.
Lauren Homem is a Dancer, Teacher's Assistant, Student Choreographer and member of our Dance Works Company performance group. She is a High School Junior where she is part of the dance program and on track to be inducted into the NHSDA. She has been dancing with Dance Works for 11 years where she studied ballet, modern tap & jazz and now composes pieces for performance. She especially loves and continues to study ballet and modern dance. Lauren is a valuable member of our Dance Works community and leadership staff.
Kieran Flores is a Dancer, Teacher's Assistant, Student Choreographer , member of our Dance Works Company performance group and a Sophomore in High School. Kieran has loved to dance, act and sing since she was a young child and has danced with Dance Works for 3 years. Kieran studies Jazz, Hip Hop and Modern Dance. She especially loves Hip Hop. Kieran is a valuable member of our Dance Works community and Junior Assistant staff.
Throughout the years Dance Works invites talented artists, dancers and fitness professionals to teach classes & to perform. For many years we've have the pleasure of experiencing fantastic guest artists including (LtoR) Nicole Barletta , Etrita Abdullahu, Pilin Anise, Jordyn Schettiino, Megan Daly, Paul Herman, Tracy Fiore and Allison Podolsky among many others.
Dance Works produces an annual showcase that bridges the gap between local student performing companies and Manhattan professionals who gather in a non-competitive way to celebrate dance while raising funds to help change the lives of the community around them. Here are just some of the charitable causes we support: The American Cancer Society’s Making Strides for Breast Cancer, The Joe Torre Safe At Home Foundation, The March of Dimes, The Children’s Cancer Fund, Avon Foundation’s Breast Cancer Crusade, Avon Foundation’s Speak Out Against Domestic Violence Campaign, The American Red Cross, Make-A-Wish, the Blythedale Children’s Hospital and The Little Angels Child Care Center. Dance Works students have performed for patients and residents at the Maria Ferrari Children’s Hospital, Blythedale Children’s Hospital, Hebrew Home for the Aged, The Osborn Home and for many other community services & events. Thus far Dance Works has raised over $81,000 in an effort to help save and improve lives. Fundraiser ticket sales and targeted workshop proceeds go to charity.
Copyright © 2021 Dance Works - All Rights Reserved.